Friday, October 22, 2010

Status Update: Our Facebook World


These days, it is almost impossible to speak about global communication and media without social networking making its way into the conversation. Facebook especially has become a world-wide phenomenon, becoming a staple in the lives of a growing demographic.

Practically every time I use the internet (which, as a college student, is a large proportion of my day) I like to open a separate tab in my browser for my facebook page. Several times throughout my day I catch myself formulating new and interesting statuses to share with all my friends. Pathetically, I even recognize within myself a rather unhealthy appreciation for my social network, wondering how on earth anyone ever survived without this miraculous tool.

I even have friends who have forced themselves to temporarily disable their own accounts out of the necessity to become a productive and active member of society without the distraction of new notifications and friend requests.

How is it that Facebook has become such a significant part of our lives? The truth is, the site has revolutionized our social lives into a global network, where we can technically “befriend” people who we have met once, who live half-way across the world, or are a distant acquaintance of our distant acquaintance. With a mutual willingness by two people to simply click “send request” and “accept request,” the potential for our circle of friends becomes virtually limitless.

Perhaps the addictiveness of Facebook comes partially from the games that are now available on the site. I know many people who have virtual farms, constantly try to beat the top “Bejeweled” scores of their friends, and constantly send funny “Bumper Stickers” and “Flairs” to people they know. In a way, the interconnectedness of Facebook provides us with a new world that becomes a distraction from reality.

Yet Facebook can be used actively and positively in many ways. Not only does Facebook redefine our social lives, but it can help educate a wide audience about promoting social change. I often get invitations to attend events for causes that people care about; including rallies, marches, and community volunteer events. Facebook has provided an easy and accessible way for members to network to a global audience, revolutionizing social activism in our world today.

Social networking sites like Facebook allow its users to become personally and intimately connected to the world in a globally social context. The question is, do we use this tool to check-up on the lives of our friends, play Farmville and send funny bumper stickers? Or do we utilize the website in order to create positive change in our global world?

No comments:

Post a Comment