Friday, November 19, 2010

Have [Google Maps], Will Travel

Today my friend and co-worker took me to his house and showed me around his hometown - right from behind the front counter at which we work. Who knew Google maps could be so entertaining?

Just when I think Google has exhausted its supply of innovative ideas it ends up surprising me. Now not only can Google provide a bird's eye view satellite image of the places we want to see, but if you zoom in far enough you can actually virtually stand and walk along still images of highways or county streets and turn in a circle to view your surroundings.

After my friend showed me this I got curious. So, via Google maps, I ventured down the street in my home town and stood in front of my house. I walked down the street for awhile before I realized I could get crazy. So I typed in "Times Square, New York" and walked down Broadway for awhile. Then I went to Dublin, Ireland. I even viewed Tokyo, Japan at night.

Of course, technology like this comes with its problems. Just a few weeks ago, Nicaraguan military used Google maps to determine its borders against Costa Rica. Unfortunately, Google had accidentally mislabeled a Costa Rican river as Nicaragua territory,causing an invasion by Nicaraguan troops. Fortunately the mistake was caught, but this incident goes to show how depend the world is on Google and its resources (especially if it's being used to direct military tactics).

It also comes with its questions. The first question that comes to mind is whether Google maps technology is an invasion of my privacy. Do I really want anyone in the world have the ability to see where I live? It's a scary thought, especially considering how easy it is to access a person's address simply by typing in their name or land-line phone number into Google search.

Despite its ethical implications, t astounds me that now, thanks to Google, I can not only read about any place in the world I want, but I can virtually tour that place as if I'm really there. Now, the next time I travel I can see where I'm going before I even get there.

Of course, Google maps is no substitute for actually being in these places, but on a cold, snowy day in Minnesota I wouldn't mind a virtual tour in Hawaii.

No comments:

Post a Comment